1. Antidepressant drugs are also known as neuroleptics.
2.Antipsychotic drugs are no longer being prescribed “off label” for people with nonpsychotic disorders.
3. Neuroleptics have their primary effect by increasing the activity of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
4. Antipsychotic drugs offer schizophrenics relief from jumbled thoughts, difficulty concentrating, and the inability to interact with others.
5. If a person is suffering from schizophrenia, then a neuroleptic would be an appropriate drug to use in treatment.
6. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) are used primarily in the treatment of schizophrenia.
7. Antidepressants, such as Prozac, are sometimes prescribed for those suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
8.Beta blockers are approved for anxiety disorders and athletic performance.
9.A significant number of people who take tranquilizers, such as Valium or Xanax, overuse the drugs and develop problems with withdrawal and tolerance.
10. Lithium carbonate often helps people who suffer from bipolar disorder.