Short Answer Questions
1. People all over the world paint their bodies, but what defines whether a particular type of body art is normal or abnormal in a particular culture? If residents of the United States have visible tattoos over half of their bodies, is that normal? Is it abnormal? Explain your reasoning.
2. Differentiate unusual behavior, mental disorder, and insanity.
3. Explain the role of the DSM in helping clinicians diagnose mental disorders.
4. Describe four serious problems with the effort to diagnose and label mental disorders.
5. Some psychologists argue that the whole enterprise of the DSM an inherently subjective process because clinicians vote on which diagnoses should be included or rejected. For example, new disorders have been voted in that reflect today’s prejudice and values. Describe one of these changes in the DSM that reflects contemporary values.