41. A billiard ball moving in the x-direction at 30.0 : 2102124
41. A billiard ball is moving in the x-direction at 30.0 cm/s and strikes another billiard ball moving in the y-direction at 40.0 cm/s. As a result of the collision, the first ball moves at 50.0 cm/s, and the second ball stops. What is the change in kinetic energy of the system as a result of the collision?
B. some positive value
C. some negative value
D. No answer above is correct.
42. During a snowball fight two balls with masses of 0.4 and 0.6 kg, respectively, are thrown in such a manner that they meet head-on and combine to form a single mass. The magnitude of initial velocity for each is 15 m/s. What is the speed of the 1.0-kg mass immediately after collision?
B. 3 m/s
C. 6 m/s
D. 9 m/s
43. A 2 500-kg truck moving at 10.00 m/s strikes a car waiting at a traffic light, hooking bumpers. The two continue to move together at 7.00 m/s. What was the mass of the struck car?
A. 1 730 kg
B. 1 550 kg
C. 1 200 kg
D. 1 070 kg
44. A billiard ball collides in an elastic head-on collision with a second stationary identical ball. After the collision which of the following conditions applies to the first ball?
A. maintains the same velocity as before
B. has one half its initial velocity
C. comes to rest
D. moves in the opposite direction
45. A billiard ball collides in an elastic head-on collision with a second identical ball. What is the kinetic energy of the system after the collision compared to that before collision?
A. the same as
B. one fourth
D. four times