31) In one 24-hour period, the kidneys of an average-sized : 2116334
31) In one 24-hour period, the kidneys of an average-sized healthy adult filter approximately ________ through their glomeruli into the tubules.
A) 10-15 liters of blood plasma
B) 50-75 liters of blood plasma
C) 100-125 liters of blood plasma
D) 150-180 liters of blood plasma
E) 200-240 liters of blood plasma
32) Who has the highest percentage of water in the body?
A) adult male
B) adult female
D) elderly female
E) elderly male
33) Which one of the following is NOT one of the major roles of the kidneys in normal healthy adults?
A) excretion of nitrogen-containing wastes
B) maintenance of water balance of the blood
C) maintenance of electrolyte balance of the blood
D) conversion of ammonia to bicarbonate ion
E) ensuring proper blood pH
34) Which of the following is the major stimulus for the thirst mechanism?
B) decreased urination
C) increased osmolarity of blood plasma
E) increased saliva production
35) Extracellular fluid is found everywhere in the body EXCEPT ________.
A) within living cells
B) blood plasma
C) interstitial fluid
D) cerebrospinal fluid
E) humors of the eye and lymph