Question : Which of the following is not part of the climate system? A) gyrosphere B) hydrosphere : 2146635
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) Which of the following is not part of the climate system?
2) Which of the following is a part of the earth system that could be significantly impacted by climate and climate change?
A) formation of volcanic islands
B) deposition of sedimentary rocks
C) igneous intrusions
D) development of metamorphic minerals
E) none of the above
3) Temperature and precipitation are the most important elements in describing a climate because ________.
A) they are the major indicators of what is happening in the biosphere
B) they are the major indicators of what is happening in the atmosphere
C) they are what controls our climate
D) they are the elements that have the greatest impact on the hydrosphere
E) they are the elements that have the greatest impact on humans
4) The Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn were identified by the ancient Greeks as the ________.
A) boundaries between the moderate and hot areas on earth
B) edges of the world
C) center of areas that were the hottest on earth
D) center of areas that were moderate temperature on earth
E) center of areas that were both hot and wet
5) The Köppen classification system for climate is widely used because ________.
A) it is a highly evolved classification system that has been carefully refined and improved over more than a century so that it meets the complex needs of a modern society
B) it uses easily obtained data and can cover a large area with a single classification
C) it is easy to use, and it covers the most populated areas of the earth and the oceans
D) it is easy to use, and it covers the most affluent parts of the world, including Europe, the U.S. and north Africa
E) it uses easily obtained data, and the system is relatively clear
6) Of the 5 major groups in the Köppen classification system, which letter below indicates the classification that is based primarily on precipitation?
7) Winterless climates with all months having a mean temperature above 18°C are known as ________ climates.
A) humid middle-latitude
B) humid tropical
10) Köppen relied on ________ as a primary indicator of climate.
A) ocean basins
B) solar energy
C) sedimentary rocks
D) natural vegetation
11) The ancient ________ divided each hemisphere into torrid, temperate, and frigid zones.
12) The wet tropics are limited to areas ________.
A) where the humidity averages more than 70%
B) where the temperature is always above 35°C
C) that have mountainous regions of forest
D) where the trade winds bring moisture
E) below 1000 meters of elevation