166. The part of the autonomic nervous system that : 1411880
166. The part of the autonomic nervous system that arouses the body to mobilize it for action and thus is involved in the experience of stress is called the parasympathetic nervous system.
167. The axon is the part of the neuron that contains the nucleus, which directs the manufacture of substances that the neuron needs for growth and maintenance.
168. Laura has recently been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She appears to be functioning normally at present. However, since this disease causes scar tissue to replace the myelin sheath, it will hinder the smooth transmission of her nerve impulses.
169. In the nervous system, neurotransmitters are stored in the dendrites.
170. In the nervous system, the small space between two neurons is called the synaptic gap.
171. The neurotransmitter norepinephrine excites the firing of neurons in the central nervous system, but it simultaneously inhibits the heart muscle, intestines, and urogenital tract.
172. An electroencephalograph (EEG) is used to detect the brain’s electrical activity in sleep studies.
173. The imaging method, positron-emission tomography (PET scan), produces a three-dimensional image obtained from X rays of the head.
174. In the context of the organization of the brain, the medulla helps to regulate human reflexes.
175. The amygdala and the hippocampus are part of the cerebellum in the human brain.