1. For computer applications in general, information refers to useful,
1. For computer applications in general, information refers to useful, meaningful, and organized data.
2. Hardware is the physical components used to process data and software is the computer programs that direct all hardware components to solve problems and thus derive useful practical solutions.
3. Storage converts data to information that can be used by human observers to solve problems, such as diagnosing a patient’s medical condition.
4. The informatics infrastructure and knowledge-base management section address the use of software tools to manage image processing and visualization, communications, graphical user interface, and data and knowledge.
5. Within a PACS environment, it is mandatory that the PACS be integrated with information systems, since these systems contain data and information related to the patient whose images are stored in the PACS.