Question : Slipher made the observation that galaxies rotated and moved relative : 2147429
49) Slipher made the observation that galaxies rotated and moved relative to each other. Hubble expanded on this work to show that ________.
A) the relative motion between adjacent galaxies varies
B) galaxies within the Local Group rotate more than other galaxies
C) galaxies within the Local Group rotate less than other galaxies
D) the rates of rotation varied within galaxies
E) all galaxies except those in the Local Group are moving away from the Milky Way
53) Big Bang Theory suggests that prior to the Big Bang, the universe was ________.
A) a giant neutron star
C) a collapsed supernova
D) in a very hot and massive state
54) What was the test of the Big Bang Hypothesis discussed in your text?
A) We should be able to measure how atoms have changed through fusion since the original explosion.
B) We should be able to model how the galaxies have moved and reconstruct the original explosion.
C) We should be able to detect remnants of the initial heat of the universe.
D) There should be more expansion in older galaxies than in young ones.
E) The universe should be expanding.
55) There are three possible fates for the universe: 1) eternal expansion; 2) total collapse; or 3) some equilibrium condition with no further motion. What conditions might favor one result over the other?
A) Critical volume–is the universe large enough for unlimited expansion?
B) Critical velocity–is there enough momentum to continue expansion forever?
C) Critical density–is there enough mass in the universe to cause gravitational collapse?
D) Critical energy–is there enough energy in the universe to maintain either expansion or collapse?
56) Evidence for the existence of dark matter includes ________.
A) the observation that the universe appears to be slowing down
B) the observation that stars near the center of galaxies do not rotate as fast as expected
C) the observation that Mercury rotates about the Sun faster than Pluto
D) the observation that the universe is not expanding as fast as predicted by Big Bang Theory
57) ________ is the study of the universe, including its properties, structure, and evolution.
58) Examine the words and/or phrases below and determine the relationship among the majority of words/phrases. Choose the option that does not fit the pattern.
59) Examine the words and/or phrases below and determine the relationship among the majority of words/phrases. Choose the option that does not fit the pattern.
A) main sequence
B) Red Supergiants
C) Red Giant
D) neutron star
60) Examine the words and/or phrases below and determine the relationship among the majority of words/phrases. Choose the option that does not fit the pattern.
B) white dwarf
C) neutron star
D) black hole
61) The larger the magnitude number, the ________ will be the star.