Question : Opening side-work should begin when guests arrive : 2162204
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false.
1) Opening side-work should begin when guests arrive.
2) Most large restaurants do not have server station assignments during busy periods.
3) A menu selection typically includes several price levels, which are planned to cater to the wishes of different customer categories.
4) The functionality of side-work coincides with the nature of the shift.
5) When a food item is sautéed it is browned and cooked in steam.
6) A wine list may also include a list of domestic and imported beers.
7) It is ultimately the responsibility of the guest to understand what is on the menu.
8) A server should always check back with their guest shortly after serving each course.
9) As the dining room’s business demands slow down, the number of servers on the floor is reduced. Terms used for this are "—phasing" or "—cutting" the floor.
10) A table d'hôte menu includes a complete meal, from appetizer to dessert, for a fixed price.
11) Often the maître d' or dining room manager will divide the dining room into work areas known as service quadrants.
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
12) The French term mise en place is occasionally used in fine dining restaurants and means:
A) put into place
B) ready for service
C) prepare to serve
D) open for business
13) The purpose of closing procedures is to:
A) secure the restaurant
B) restock everything used
C) clean the restaurant
D) answer B and C
14) A common way to design a menu is as a:
B) one-page menu
D) all of the above
15) There has been an increase in allergies; guests will ask servers many questions about ingredients to avoid an allergic reaction. Servers should be aware of the most common allergies that are:
A) associated with most packed ingredients
B) meat, seafood, dairy, and poultry
C) seafood, dairy, nuts, soy, and gluten
D) organic vegetables and oils
16) When a guest requests a steak to be cooked ________; the outside will be well done, dark brown with reddish pink hot center.
C) medium well
D) medium rare
17) A food item that is ________, is cooked in an uncovered pan without moisture in an oven using only dry heat.
18) A wine list can be organized according to:
A) the region or place that the wine comes from
B) by how it tastes
C) the style of the wine
D) all of the above
19) When a food item is ________, it is cooked by a combination of dry and moist heat; usually cooking meat in a small amount of liquid in a covered pan, allowing the meat to cook in the moisture created from its own juices.
20) A restaurant manager may often schedule a time for ________, to inform servers about new items, and the daily specials that may be offered.
A) menu meetings
B) restaurant reporting
C) preparedness training
D) server tidbits