Question : Lisa Dunca, a junior in college, has been seeking ways : 3251
Lisa Dunca, a junior in college, has been seeking ways to earn extra spending moey. As an active sports enthusiast, Lisa plays tennis regularly at the Phoenix Tennis Club, where her family has a membership. The president of the club recently approached Lisa with the proposal that she manage the club's tennis courts. Lisa's primary duty would be to supervise the operation of the club's four indoor and 10 outdoor counrts, including court reservations.
In return for her services, the club would pay Lisa $325 per week, plus Lisa could keep whatever she earned from lessons. The clu and Lisa greed to a one-month trial, after which both would consider an arrangement for the remaining two years of Lisa's college career. On this basis, Lisa organized Serve-N-Volley. During September 2014, Lisa managed the tennis courts and entered into the following transactions:
a. Opened a business account by depositing $950.
b. Paid $300 for tennis supplies (practice tennis balls, etc.)
c. Paid $275 for the rental of video equipment to e used in offering lessons during September.
d. Arranged for the rental of two ball machines during September for $250. Paid $100 in advance, with the remaining $150 due October 1.
e. Received $1,750 for lessons given during September.
f. Received $600 in fees from the use of the ball machines during September.
g. Paid $800 for salaries of part-time employees who answered the telephone and took reservations while Lisa was giving lessons.
h. Paid $290 for miscellaneous expenses.
i. Received $1,300 from the club for managing the tennis courts during September.
j. Determined that the cost of supplies on hand at the end of the month totaled $180, therefore, the cost of supplies used was $120.
k. Withdrew $400 for personal use on September 30.
As a friend and accounting student, you have been asked by Lisa to aid her in assessing the venture.
1. Indicate the effect of each transaction and the balances after each transaction, using the following tabular headings:
Assets = Liabilites + Owner's Equity
Cash + Supplies = Accounts Payable + Lisa Dunca, Capital - Lisa Duncan, Drawing + Fees Earned = Salaries Expense - Rent Expense - Supplies Expense - Misc Expense.
2. Prepare an income statement for September.
3. Prepare a statement of ownder's equity for September.
4. Prepare a balance sheet as of September 30.
5. a) Assume that Lisa Duncan could earn $10/hour working 30 hours a week as a waitress. Evalute which of the two alternatives, working as a waitress or operating Serve-N-Volley, would provide Lisa with the most income per month. b) Discuss any other factors that you believe Lisa should consider before discussing long-term arrangement with Phoenix Tennis Club.