Question : In the early 1700s Kant suggested there were many galaxies visible : 2147409
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) In the early 1700's Kant suggested there were many galaxies visible from Earth but the idea was not popular because ________.
A) the "Big Bang" theory did not support that concept
B) that hypothesis would require a significantly larger universe than was widely accepted at that time
C) that hypothesis would require that objects travel faster than the speed of light
D) only modern satellite data supports that point of view
E) at that time, people generally believed the earth was the center of the universe.
2) Cepheid Variables are stars whose brightness varies in a predictable manner so that the absolute magnitude of the star can be determined, and this allows the ________ of the star to be determined.
A) direction of motion
C) distance from Earth
3) Why did Hubble think the Cepheid vari he saw in "Fuzzy Patches" were outside the Milky Way?
A) They were dim.
B) Their brightness varied.
C) They had a red shift character.
D) They were small.
4) What was Hubble's major contribution to Cosmology?
A) He measured the size of the universe.
B) He proved the Big Bang Theory.
C) He developed a new method for measuring the absolute magnitude of stars.
D) He identified numerous new galaxies outside the Milky Way.
E) He identified Cepheid Variable stars.
5) Which of the following events is not part of the history associated with the Big Bang Theory?
A) About 13.7 billion years ago, our universe started with a huge explosion.
B) Our Sun formed approximately 9 billion years after the universe formed.
C) The first matter formed 380,000 years after the formation of the universe.
D) Just before Big Bang occurred, there was only energy and disassociated electrons and protons.
6) What two elements formed first?
A) protons and neutrons
B) hydrogen and oxygen
C) helium and hydrogen
D) electrons and protons
E) helium and oxygen
7) Apparent magnitude is ________.
A) how bright stars truly are
B) how large stars appear to be from Earth
C) how bright stars appear to be from Earth
D) how large stars truly are
8) Interstellar matter is composed primarily of ________.
D) ions E) helium
9) The main difference between Bright and Dark Nebulae is ________.
A) their proximity to a blue star
B) the composition of their dust
C) their proximity to a black hole
D) the composition of their gases
E) none of the above
10) Fluorescence occurs when ________.
A) ultraviolet light is converted to visible light
B) visible light is converted to infrared light
C) infrared light is converted to visible light
D) visible light is converted to ultraviolet light
E) infrared light is converted to ultraviolet light