Question : During an economic recession : 2141856
Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
15) During an economic recession, ________.
A) more qualified candidates are available to fill fewer open positions
B) candidates face less competition for open positions
C) human resources managers find it more difficult to replace employees
D) candidates expect better benefits and pensions
16) Which one of the following would be considered a factor most directly influencing the human resource process?
A) Changes in technology
B) The economy
C) Offshoring of jobs
D) Changes in consumer preferences
18) Which one of the following Acts prohibits discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disabilities?
A) Vocational Rehabilitation Act
B) Equal Pay Act
C) Occupational Safety and Health Act
D) Civil Rights Act, Title VII
19) Which one of the following Acts gives employees the legal right to examine personnel files and letters of reference?
A) Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
B) Civil Rights Act, Title VII
C) Privacy Act
D) Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act
23) Which one of the following is true of the government legislations related to human resource management in different countries?
A) Unlike the rest of Europe, legislation in Germany does not require companies to practice representative participation.
B) Australian anti-discrimination laws were passed before those in the United States.
C) Under Mexican law, managers must review new employees' performance after 60 days.
D) Canadian laws allow discrimination on the basis of language in all parts of the country except Quebec.
24) The Mexican Federal Labor Law includes controls on ________.
A) the hiring of candidates who are not citizens of Mexico
B) the amount, type, and timing of performance-based wage increases
C) the minimum wage that workers must receive
D) punitive damages payable to victims of discrimination
25) In Germany and most of western Europe, the two most common forms of representative participation are ________.
A) task forces and cross-functional teams
B) board representatives and cross-functional teams
C) work councils and cross-functional teams
D) work councils and board representatives
26) In Germany, ________ are groups of nominated or elected employees who must be consulted when management makes decisions involving personnel.
A) work councils
B) board representatives
C) advisory boards
D) labor unions
27) Helmut works for an optical engineering company in Germany. He is one of several employees that management must consult when it is considering a major layoff. Helmut is a member of ________.
A) a work council
B) a labor union
C) a bargaining committee
D) an employee council
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false.
31) The trend in unionization in the United States is a decline in the private sector and an increase in the public sector.