Question : Differentiate between a green tax and marketable emission permits Which is superior : 2141821
ESSAY. Write your answer in the space provided or on a separate sheet of paper.
44) Differentiate between a green tax and marketable emission permits. Which is superior for U.S. markets?
45) What is a subsidy? Describe the role of subsidies in present-day natural resource management.
46) Identify NAFTA, and briefly discuss its purpose and consequences.
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
Read the following scenario and answer the questions below.
Wetlands provide a multitude of ecological, economic, and social benefits. They provide habitat for many organisms and are nurseries for many saltwater and freshwater fishes and shellfish. Wetlands also hold and slowly release floodwater and snow melt, recharge groundwater, act as cleansing filters, recycle nutrients, and provide recreation. As of 2000, the contiguous United States was estimated to have about 105 million acres of wetlands remaining. Over the past 60 years, it has lost over 16 million acres of wetlands, and the loss continues at about 58,000 acres annually. Nearly one-third of the loss is due to urban development, with the rest being nearly equally divided between rural development, agriculture, and silviculture (predominantly logging). The southeastern United States is experiencing the greatest losses. The Emergency Wetlands Resources Act (EWRA) of 1986 requires the Fish and Wildlife Service to conduct status and trend studies of the nation's wetlands and to report the results to Congress each decade, with the overall goal being no more net loss of wetlands. EWRA also established Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge along Lake Ponchartrain in New Orleans, Louisiana.
49) The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is an administrative agency in the Department of ________.
C) the Interior
D) Health and Human Services
E) the Environment
50) The creation of our National Wildlife Refuge system has been credited to what U.S. president?
A) Richard Nixon
B) Theodore Roosevelt
C) Dwight Eisenhower
D) Rutherford B. Hayes
E) Barack Obama
51) According to the scenario, if the United States continues to lose wetlands at an indefinite rate, in approximately what year would the country run out of wetlands?