Question : Carbon dioxide is an important influence on climate because : 2146641
51) Carbon dioxide is an important influence on climate because ________.
A) it passes incoming long wavelength solar radiation, but it absorbs short wavelength outgoing earth radiation
B) it absorbs incoming short wavelength solar radiation, but it passes some longer wavelength outgoing earth radiation
C) it passes incoming short wavelength solar radiation, but it absorbs some longer wavelength outgoing earth radiation
D) it absorbs incoming long wavelength solar radiation, but it passes short wavelength outgoing earth radiation
E) None of the above is correct.
52) Any change in the air's ________ content could alter temperatures in the lower atmosphere.
E) carbon dioxide
53) Seasonal variations in CO2 recorded at Mauna Loa Observatory are related to ________.
54) In the past approximately 100 years, global temperatures have ________.
A) decreased by nearly 5°C
B) increased by nearly 5°C
C) decreased by nearly 1°C
D) increased by nearly 1°C
E) not changed significantly
55) Which of the following is not a trace gas?
56) How do aerosols influence climate?
A) They increase the albedo.
B) They produce acid rain.
C) They reflect solar radiation back into space.
D) They absorb long wavelength earth radiation.
E) All of the above
57) The overall effect of aerosols is to ________.
A) decrease CO2
B) increase ocean temperatures
C) warm the planet
D) increase CO2
E) cool the planet
58) Aerosols are ________ in terms of global change due to greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
A) neither a positive nor a negative feedback mechanism
B) a positive feedback mechanism
C) a reflector
D) an absorber
E) a negative feedback mechanism
59) According to the 2013 report from which body (which is informed by the world's most accomplished atmospheric scientists) have global temperatures been increasing in recent years?
A) National Association of Chemists
B) Mobil Oil Corporation
C) Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
D) Association of National Talk Show Hosts
60) Climate-feedback mechanisms ________.
A) support climate models
B) enhance climate models
C) disagree with climate models
D) complicate climate models
E) have nothing to do with climate models