91. Which of the following statements true of stress and : 1411828
91. Which of the following statements is true of stress and the immune system?
A. Unlike the central nervous system, the immune system possesses “sensory” elements, which receive information from the environment and other parts of the body.
B. Unlike the immune system, the central nervous system possesses “motor” elements, which carry out an appropriate response.
C. The immune system and the central nervous system are distinct in their modes of receiving, and integrating stress signals from the external environment.
D. Corticotropin-releasing hormone is shared by the central nervous system and the immune system, uniting the stress and immune responses.
92. Which of the following statements is NOT true about the relationship between the immune system and stress?
A. Acute stressors enhance the immune system functioning.
B. Stress hormones can create greater vulnerability to infection.
C. Chronic stressors are associated with inhibited immune system response.
D. Positive social circumstances are associated with an increased ability to fight cancer.
93. The immune system and the central nervous system both rely on _____ mediators for communication.
94. In the context of stress and its effects on the immune system, who among the following is most likely to catch the flu?
A. Harry gets his tasks done by allocating all the work to his subordinates.
B. Janice has been working on a high-stakes project for nearly six months.
C. Chris is on a vacation with his family.
D. Kenneth has been moved into a new department with moderate work load.
95. Which of the following statements is true of the preliminary hypotheses about the interaction that causes vulnerability to disease?
A. Stressful experiences increase the efficiency of the immune system.
B. Stressful situations make individuals more susceptible to diseases.
C. Stressful experiences cause the deactivation of dormant viruses.
D. Stress directly promotes disease-fighting processes.
96. A surge in _____ caused by severe emotional stress may contribute to one’s risk of a heart attack.
97. Which of the following statements is true of the relationship between stress and cardiovascular disease?
A. Individuals who have had major life changes have a lower incidence of heart disease.
B. People in a chronically stressed condition are less likely to take up smoking.
C. Chronic emotional stress is associated with heart attacks and early deaths.
D. The body’s internal reactions to stress merely constitute the risk people face.
98. In the context of associating cardiovascular diseases due to stress, who among the following is most likely to suffer from a cardiovascular disease?
A. A person working on difficult projects for months
B. A person walking in a park along with a pet
C. A person who was given a parking ticket
D. A person writing a test
99. Which of the following is an accurate description of the relationship between stress, the immune system, and cancer?
A. The physiological effects of stress results in an increase in NK-cell activity in the blood.
B. The physiological effects of stress inhibit immune responses to cancer.
C. The physiological effects of stress temporarily slow the progression of cancer.
D. The physiological effects of stress provide resistance to cancer.
100. Which of the following statements is true of cancer?
A. If NK-cell activity is not compromised by stress, cancer progresses slower.
B. Length of survival for cancer patients is independent of NK-cell activity.
C. High NK-cell activity is linked with the development of malignancies.
D. Cancer patients show extremely high NK-cell activity in their blood.