91. Dr. Petrovic tries to help his clients see how their : 1385845
91. Dr. Petrovic tries to help his clients see how their behavior reflects choices they have made. He is most likely a _____ therapist.
B. clinical neuroscience
92. Psychologists adhering to the _____ perspective are probably the LEAST likely to take a "nature" stance on the nature vs. nurture issue.
93. Which of the following perspectives of psychology emphasizes observable responses?
94. Recall Watson's quote - "Give me a dozen healthy infants, well-formed, and my own specified world to bring them up in and I'll guarantee to take any one at random and train him to become any type of specialist I might select—doctor, lawyer, artist, merchant-chief, and yes, even beggar-man and thief, regardless of his talents, penchants, tendencies, abilities, vocations and race of his ancestors." Where 1 = extreme nature and 10 = extreme nurture, where would you place Watson on the nature vs. nurture issue?
A. 1 or 2
B. 3 or 4
C. 5 or 6
D. 9 or 10
95. Dr. Quinones studies the achievement motivation of junior high school students. He asserts that such motivation mainly reflects the parenting and educational practices the students have experienced. This statement is most directly related to the _____ issue; Dr. Quinones' position is toward the _____ end of the continuum.
A. nature vs. nurture; nature
B. nature vs. nurture; nurture
C. observable behavior vs. internal mental processes; observable behavior
D. observable behavior vs. internal mental processes; internal mental processes
96. Dr. Reynolds believes that depression reflects aspects of a patient's early relationship with her parents of which she may be completely unaware. Dr. Smith, by contrast, argues that depression stems from a patient's negative self-talk. The two psychologists appear to disagree on the _____ issue.
A. nature vs. nurture
B. conscious vs. unconscious causes
C. free will vs. determinism
D. structuralism vs. functionalism
97. _____ is the idea that people's behavior is produced primarily by factors outside of their willful control.
98. Individual differences are to universal principles what the _____ perspective is to the _____ perspective.
A. neuroscience; humanistic
B. cognitive; behavioral
C. humanistic; neuroscience
D. behavioral; cognitive
99. Rob is a 16-year-old American student; Yoon-Sook is a 16-year-old Asian student. According to your text, Rob and Yoon-Sook, respectively, are likely to attribute academic success to _____ and _____.
A. unchanging causes; situational factors
B. effort; natural ability
C. effort; situational factors
D. natural ability; unchanging causes
100. Race is to ethnicity what _____ is to _____.
A. the individual; biology
B. biology; culture
C. culture; biology
D. the individual; culture