61) The most fundamental authority in an organization, consisting of : 1414411
61) The most fundamental authority in an organization, consisting of the right to make decisions and to give orders concerning the production-, sales-, or finance-related behavior of subordinates, is ________.
A) functional authority
B) staff authority
C) traditional authority
D) line authority
E) informal authority
62) A certain IT company has a legal services department which is responsible for providing timely assistance and advice on matters relating to contracts, liability, governance, and regulations. What type of authority do the legal advisors within this organization possess?
A) line authority
B) functional authority
C) staff authority
D) traditional authority
E) informal authority
63) Bay Industries has a small-scale shoe manufacturing plant which has experienced a high number of product defects for the past several months. The quality control team studies the problem and then recommends that the production manager change one of the company's suppliers of leather. In this scenario, the quality control team has _________ authority.
64) Bay Industries has a small-scale shoe manufacturing plant which has experienced a high number of product defects for the past several months. The quality control team studies the problem and then recommends that the production manager change one of the company's suppliers of leather. Identify the role performed by the staff personnel in this situation.
65) The most significant factor in determining whether an organization will have staff personnel is ________.
A) the size of the organization
B) the qualifications of the workers
C) the type of industry
D) the degree of centralization in the organization
E) the nature of the products and service produced
66) ________ consists of the right to advise or assist those who posses line authority.
A) Functional authority
B) Staff authority
C) Informal authority
D) Lateral authority
E) Rational-legal authority
67) Which of the following statements regarding staff authority is true?
A) It enables those responsible for improving the effectiveness of line personnel to perform their required tasks.
B) It involves giving orders concerning production activities.
C) It pertains to matters directly involving management system production, sales, and finance and, as a result, the attainment of objectives.
D) It reflects existing superior–subordinate relationships.
E) It consists of the right to give orders within a segment of the organization in which this right is normally nonexistent.
68) According to Harold Stieglitz, in which of the following roles do staff personnel use their professional expertise to solve organizational problems?
A) advisory role
B) service role
C) control role
D) administrative role
E) functional role
69) When staff personnel are viewed as suppliers and line personnel as customers, staff personnel are performing the ________ role.
70) The HR department of a large IT firm is responsible for recruiting and training qualified employees for all the other departments within the organization. In essence, they are the suppliers of workers, and the various organizational departments needing workers are their customers. Under the given circumstance, identify the role played by the human resource department.
A) control role
B) functional role
C) service role
D) advisory role
E) counseling role