6. Suppose a female professor is offered a position with an annual salary of $100,000. Compared to the women from the nine institutions in the study, would this be an unusually good salary? Explain.
7. In your own words, explain what the Empirical Rule says and what conditions a distribution must meet in order to apply the rule.
Use the following information to answer questions (8)-(10). The average snowfall for cities in Michigan is 71.6 inches with a standard deviation of 9.7 inches. Assume the distribution for annual snowfall is approximately unimodal and symmetrical.
8. What is the range of values for annual snowfall that would contain roughly 68% of the cities in Michigan? Round calculations to the nearest tenth.
9. What is the range of values for annual snowfall that would contain roughly 95% of the cities in Michigan? Round calculations to the nearest tenth.
10. In 2007, the annual snowfall in Grand Rapids, Michigan was 97.2 inches. What is the standard score for the 2007 snowfall? Was this an unusual amount of snowfall for a city in Michigan? Show all work and round any calculations to the nearest tenth.
Chapter 3 Test C 3- 3