51) A substance, such as caffeine, that increases fluid loss : 1403880
51) A substance, such as caffeine, that increases fluid loss via the urine is called:
A) a diuretic.
B) osmotic pressure.
C) metabolic water.
D) a phytic acid.
52) The fluid lost via sweating and respiration is called:
A) sensible water.
C) insensible water.
D) metabolic water.
53) In the extracellular fluid, sodium and ________ predominate.
54) The movement of water from areas where solutes are less concentrated to areas where they are most concentrated is called:
C) sensible water loss.
55) The three major systems that account for the body's ability to regulate acid-base balance are the lungs, the kidneys, and:
A) the intestines.
B) blood buffers.
C) bone structure.
D) the brain.
56) Blood pressure exerted in the arteries during heart contractions is called:
57) The majority of individuals with hypertension are diagnosed with ________ hypertension.
58) Lean tissue contains a greater percentage of fluid compared with fat tissue.
59) Approximately 2/3 of the body fluid is held intracellularly.
60) Elderly people have more total body water percentage than infants.