41) If subordinates characterized by ________, it will be appropriate : 1414462
41) If subordinates are characterized by ________, it will be appropriate for managers to assume a more autocratic, or boss-centered, approach to making decisions.
A) high tolerance for ambiguity
B) high need for independence
C) moderate intellectual capabilities
D) low levels of aggression
E) low level of job-experience
42) If the time available to come to a decision on a problem is very limited, it is more likely that ________.
A) the manager will leave the subordinates to make the decision
B) the skills of the subordinates will be effectively used
C) the level of confidence the manager has in followers will be high
D) the skills of the manager as a decision-maker will play a secondary role
E) the manager will take a boss-centered approach to leadership
43) A manager meets with his subordinates to discuss problems, but makes the decisions alone. According to the Vroom-Yetton-Jago Model, this manager is using the ________ decision style.
44) In which of the following decision styles described in the VYJ model are the subordinates made aware of the problem, expected to provide information to the manager, but do not meet as a group?
45) A manager adopts the GII style of decision making. He or she would ________.
A) meet with the group to discuss the situation and allow the group to make decisions
B) make organizational decisions all by himself or herself, without consulting followers
C) ask for information from subordinates but make the decisions alone
D) meet with the followers to discuss the situation, but make the decision alone
E) share the situation with subordinates and asks for information before making the decision
46) Five styles of decision-making, ranging from autocratic to consultative, are identified in the ________.
A) Fiedler's Contingency Theory
B) Hersey-Blanchard Model
C) Path-goal leadership model
D) Vroom-Yetton-Jago Model
E) Trait theory of leadership
47) Bryan is the production manager of a small company that manufactures printed circuit boards. Prior to making a decision, Bryan usually asks for information from his subordinates. However, his subordinates are not always informed about the problem at hand. Which of the following VYJ model decision-making styles does Bryan use?
48) Keith is the leader of a project team designated to design new products for a firm. He conducts group meetings and discussions regularly so that all team members are aware of the work progress. Keith ensures that all members participate in the meetings and that all the key decisions regarding product design are made by the team. Keith's style of leadership can be classified as ________ as per the VYJ model.
49) The Vroom—Yetton—Jago model is a method for determining ________.
A) when a leader should use which decision style
B) interpersonal dynamics of organizational leaders
C) the motivational appeals necessary to motivate followers
D) leadership traits and motivation of individuals
E) the effectiveness of leaders in various situations handled
50) William Cooley is the manager of a professional football club. He bases his relationship with the players on aspects such as friendship, mutual trust, respect, and warmth in the relationship. Here, William is displaying ________ behavior.
E) maturity based