41) Division of labor means that
A) the labor market in
41) Division of labor means that
A) the labor market in the United States is geographically segmented.
B) some employees join labor unions and others do not.
C) management and labor are always in conflict.
D) the production process is divided into smaller tasks.
42) Two factories make wooden chairs. If the workers in factory A make each chair from start to finish and the workers in factory B divide labor, one would assume
A) the chairs in factory A are of higher quality.
B) the workers in factory B have more job satisfaction.
C) factory B can take advantage of division of labor and produce more efficiently.
D) factory A can take advantage of division of labor and produce more efficiently.
43) If a CEO can type faster than her secretary, then
A) the CEO has a comparative advantage in typing.
B) the CEO has neither a comparative advantage in typing, nor in management.
C) the CEO should still continue performing CEO duties since the CEO has a comparative advantage in management, and the secretary should continue typing.
D) the CEO should still continue performing CEO duties as well as typing since he has a comparative advantage in both management, and typing.
44) "My brother is better at cooking, better at cleaning, and better at fixing the car than I am." Relative to me, my brother has
A) an absolute advantage in cooking, cleaning, and car repair.
B) a comparative advantage in cooking, cleaning, and car repair.
C) more intelligence than me.
D) more income than me.
45) If Vice President Smith is a better typist than his assistant, he is said to have a(n) ________ advantage in typing over his assistant.
46) Assuming Vice President Smith has to sacrifice more than his assistant in order to engage in full-time typing, we would say that his assistant has a(n) ________ advantage in typing versus Mr. Smith.
47) Comparative advantage implies that you
A) can produce more units of a good or service than another.
B) can produce a good or service at a lower opportunity cost.
C) can produce goods with more capital resources.
D) can produce goods with more human resources.
48) Which of the following is TRUE with respect to specialization?
A) Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations referred to specialization and division of labor.
B) With a given set of resources, specialization results in higher output.
C) Individuals and nations specialize in their areas of comparative advantage in order to reap the gains of specialization.
D) All of the above are correct.
49) The principle of comparative advantage implies that
A) only wealthy countries ultimately can benefit from international trade.
B) every country can benefit from international trade.
C) we should limit the extent to which people specialize.
D) most people are harmed by trade.
50) Assume that Economy A and Economy B have the same resources, but that individuals in Economy A have specialized whereas individuals in Economy B have not. Given this information, you can determine that
A) Economy A will have a higher output than Economy B.
B) Economy A will have a lower output than Economy B.
C) Economy A and Economy B will have identical outputs.
D) individuals in Economy A will have lower incomes than individuals in Economy B.