31) Which one of the following found in the dermis?
A) : 1402900
31) Which one of the following is found in the dermis?
A) cardiac muscle
C) sweat gland
E) skeletal muscle
32) Skin functions to
A) absorb sunlight to facilitate the synthesis of vitamin A
B) initiate muscle contractions
C) provide protection from dehydration
D) synthesize components for bone tissue
E) produce vitamin C
33) Which one of the following is TRUE regarding skin?
A) Beneath the dermis is the basement membrane, which separates the dermis from the hypodermis.
B) Keratin is a protein in the cells of the epidermis that provides strength and waterproofing.
C) Melanocytes and keratinocytes are two skin cell types that are prevalent in the dermis.
D) The sebaceous glands and the sweat glands are two types of endocrine glands located in the dermis.
E) Melanocytes produce calcium, which strengthens the skin.
34) A fluid-filled blister develops when excessive rubbing of the skin causes the ________ and ________ to separate from each other.
A) tight junctions, gap junctions
B) epidermis, dermis
C) dermis, hypodermis
D) melanocytes, keratinocytes
E) epidermis, hypodermis
35) In a negative feedback system, which one of the following statements is TRUE?
A) A sensor detects a stimulus, which in turn amplifies the original disturbance.
B) Deviations from a desired condition are automatically detected and counteracted.
C) Homeostasis cannot be re-established until the effector is turned off.
D) The effector activates the sensor.
E) A sensor is not needed because the body anticipates the coming change.
36) Calcium levels in the body are maintained by hormones. If the blood calcium level rises above a set point, calcitonin is secreted by the thyroid gland and sets into motion responses to lower the blood calcium back to the set point. If the blood calcium level falls below a set point, the parathyroid gland secretes parathyroid hormone that sets into motion responses to raise the blood calcium. These homeostatic responses are examples of
A) positive feedback
D) negative feedback
37) Positive feedback control occurs
A) during maintenance of proper body temperature
B) when insulin and glucagon regulate blood glucose levels
C) during the process of childbirth (labor)
D) to counter the effects of negative feedback
E) in other animals but not in humans
38) Each of these organ systems is involved in the homeostatic regulation of body temperature EXCEPT which one?
A) nervous system
B) integumentary system
C) circulatory system
D) muscular system
E) skeletal system