31) Which of the following refers to the means by which management applies the systems that link a company's value activities, whether those activities are performed in one or in many countries?
D) core competency
32) Social network analysis indicates that information flows more efficiently in a(n) ________ manner.
33) Firms that compete in the global marketplace typically face the asymmetric forces of pressures for ________ and ________.
A) global integration; local responsiveness
B) price reductions; cost reductions
C) politically sensitivity; market leadership
D) cost reductions; customer satisfaction
34) No matter the country or culture, money has three fundamental features that motivate consumers around the world to maximize purchasing power by buying the highest possible quality product for the lowest possible price. These three features include all of the following EXCEPT which one?
B) difficulty of acquisition
C) difficulty of allocation
D) difficulty of saving
35) In the demand-pull and supply-push view of the market, which of the following is best classified as a push dynamic that drives supply in the global market?
B) media access
D) market globalization
36) Which of the following would most likely pressure an MNE into a global integration of its value activities?
A) costs of producing in separate facilities exceeding those of producing in a single facility
B) variability in consumers' tastes and preferences shifting across countries
C) market pressures to add new product features continually
D) demands imposed by host country governments
37) Which of the following is LEAST likely to trigger the standardization of consumer preferences?
A) intrinsic functions of money
B) global access to common media
C) increase of endemic nationalism
D) improved communications technologies
38) Which of the following is NOT a factor driving local responsiveness among global firms?
A) cross-national differences in distribution channels
B) diverging consumer tastes and preferences
C) cross-national differences in product standards
D) host government support of freer international trade
39) Advantages of following a strategy of local responsiveness include the ________.
A) improved ability to transfer skills to employees
B) opportunity to adopt a global advertising program
C) ease in standardizing manufacturing methods across countries
D) flexibility to apply location-specific skills to local opportunities
40) Growing demands for transparency will most likely push companies to make their value chains more ________.
A) locally responsive
B) globally integrated