31) Which of the following illustrates the use of information : 1927922
31) Which of the following illustrates the use of information systems to focus on market niche?
A) A hot tub dealer's use of information systems to determine which models and options its customers are most likely to buy.
B) A shoe manufacturer's use of information systems in selling custom, made-to-order shoes directly to customers.
C) A PC manufacturer's use of information systems to facilitate direct access from suppliers to production schedules.
D) A grocery store chain's use of information systems to produce products and services at a lower price than competitors.
32) When a firm provides a specialized product or service for a narrow target market better than competitors, they are using a ________ strategy.
A) product differentiation
B) market niche
C) mass customization
D) process efficiency
33) ________ is the ability to offer individually tailored products or services using the same production resources as bulk production.
A) Mass customization
B) Size customization
D) Demand customization
34) An information system can enable a company to focus on a market niche through:
A) complex trend forecasting.
B) tailoring products to the client.
C) intensive product trend analysis.
D) intensive customer data analysis.
35) Hilton Hotels' use of customer information software to identify the most profitable customers to direct services to is an example of using information systems to:
A) strengthen customer intimacy.
B) differentiate their service.
C) focus on market niche.
D) increase efficiency.
36) All of the following industries have been severely disrupted by the Internet except:
A) air travel.
B) PC manufacturer.
37) To what competitive force did the printed encyclopedia industry succumb?
A) Positioning and rivalry among competitors
B) Low cost of entry
C) Substitute products or services
D) Customer's bargaining power
38) Internet technology:
A) makes it easy for rivals to compete on price alone.
B) imposes a significant cost of entry, due to infrastructure requirements.
C) increases the difference between competitors because of the wide availability of information.
D) makes it easy to sustain operational advantages.
39) The Internet raises the bargaining power of customers by:
A) creating new opportunities for building loyal customer bases.
B) making more products available.
C) making information available to everyone.
D) lowering transaction costs.
40) The value chain model:
A) categorizes five related advantages for adding value to a firm's products or services.
B) sees the supply chain as the primary activity for adding value.
C) categorizes four basic strategies a firm can use to enhance its value chain.
D) helps a firm identify points at which information technology can most effectively enhance its competitive position.