31) The cultures transplanted to the West in the period of migration after the War of 1812: A) held little in common with seaboard communities.
B)contained a mixture of southern and New England culture that crossed regional distinctions.
C)quickly incorporated Indian traditions into everyday life activities.
D)closely resembled the regional cultures from which migrants had come.
32) The Ohio Valley “Western Reserve” was claimed by: A) the federal government.
D)Kentucky. Answer: C
33) The main reason the West did not form into a single regional voting block was: A) it was too diverse economically.
B)western states lacked efficient spokesmen.
C)too few people lived in the West for a regional identity to take hold.
D)migrants to the West brought their previous cultural and political attitudes.
34) The three elements of Henry Clay’s American System were: A) Indian Removal, national bank, income tax.
B)neutrality, limited construction, larger Army and Navy.
C)national bank, tariff, roads and canals.
D)Indian Removal, tariff, support of farmers.
35) Which of the following was NOT a treaty negotiated by John Quincy Adams?
B)Convention of 1824
D)Transcontinental Treaty of 1819
36) The election of 1816 was the last time:
A)the electoral college was used to elect a president.
B)the Federalists ran a candidate.
C)the Whigs ran a candidate.
D)women were denied the right to vote.
37) During the Panic of 1819, many urban workers blamed their job losses on: A) competition from British imports.
B)the creation of the Second Bank of the U.S.
C)the Monroe Doctrine.
D)invention of the cotton gin.
38) The Panic of 1819 reflected the:
A)concern over the institution of slavery.
B)transition from a farming to a more commercial economy.
C)fear of Native and European encroachment on the economy.
D)negative international response to the Monroe Doctrine.
39) Which of the following was NOT one of the major issues leading to Missouri Compromise?
A)the extension of slavery into new territory
B)sectional balance of states in the Senate
C)constitutional issues of regulating slavery
D)future of an Indian Territory in the West
40) The Mandan villages on the Missouri visited by Lewis & Clark were: A) hardly affected by European goods.
B)an isolated non-communal people.
C)hostile to them because Clark befriended the Sioux.
D)central marketplaces of the Northern Plains.