31. Obesity a common nutritional concern during adolescence. The availability : 1997990
31. Obesity is a common nutritional concern during adolescence. The availability of fast foods is a reason for obesity because
a)adolescents are too lazy to eat nutritional food.
b)of high-calorie and high-in-fat cuisine at prices adolescents can afford.
c)cooking at home is not as popular for adolescents as it used to be.
d)adolescents are not educated as to the quality of foods.
32. Which of the following is the term for a severe eating disorder in which individuals refuse to eat, while denying that their behavior and appearance, which may become skeletal, are out of the ordinary?
33. Meredith is a 17-year-old adolescent female who weighs approximately 82 pounds and is gaunt and frail, with a skeletal appearance. Although she fears food and eating, she focuses on food by talking about food, collecting cookbooks, and cooking huge meals for others. Whenever she looks at herself in the mirror, her perception of her body is distorted in that she thinks she is disgustingly fat. Meredith is suffering from which of the following disorders?
34. Which of the following terms relates to an eating disorder characterized by binges on large quantities of food, followed by purges of the food through vomiting or the use of laxatives?
35. Stella is a 16-year-old adolescent female who privately eats large quantities of food but then purges herself right after consuming the food by vomiting and taking laxatives. Stella is suffering from
36. What is the area of the brain that undergoes considerable development during the adolescent years?
37. The part of the brain that allows people to think, evaluate, and make complex judgments in a uniquely human way, and that goes through considerable development during the adolescent years, is called
38. Which of the following is the most likely reason for adolescent impulsivity and risky behavior(s)?
b)developing myelination of nerve cells which makes the transmission of neural messages more efficient
c)the adolescent prefrontal cortex is biologically immature
d)alterations of dopamine sensitivity
39. How many hours of sleep do older adolescents require for optimal functioning?
a)9 hours per night; they need to go to bed later and to sleep later in the morning.
b)8 hours per night; they need to go to bed earlier and to get up earlier in the morning.
c)7-8 hours per night; they need to go to bed later and to sleep later in the morning.
d)9 hours per night; they need to go to bed earlier and to get up earlier in the morning.
40. Mrs. Valdez was concerned that her daughter was not getting adequate sleep and that, as a result, her daughter was receiving failing grades and suffering from depression. Mrs. Valdez attended a meeting of other concerned parents. The coordinator of the meeting informed the parents that
a)adolescents are more mature and do not need as much sleep.
b)with increasing academic and social demands, adolescents are often leading their lives in something of a sleep-deprived daze.
c)adolescents are more mature that they were in previous years and they should know how much sleep they need.