31. It the end of the month and Cindy has : 1411885
31. It is the end of the month and Cindy has several bills yet to pay, but she does not have much money left. She spends most of the day thinking how she is going to make the payments. Later, while watching TV, she finds a solution to her problem. Cindy is demonstrating:
C. controlled processing.
32. According to Sigmund Freud, _____ mental processes occur without a person being aware of them.
33. _____ are daily behavioral or physiological cycles that involve the sleep/wake cycle, body temperature, blood pressure, and blood sugar level.
A. Circadian rhythms
B. Lunar rotational effects
C. Non-REM sequences
D. Sensorimotor stages
34. Circadian rhythm refers to:
A. the pattern of emotional ups and downs a person routinely experiences during the day.
B. the daily behavioral or physiological cycles.
C. the jet lag experienced following an extensive transoceanic flight.
D. the five stage cycle that a person experiences during a normal night of sleep.
35. A class project required a student nurse to make hourly records of her own blood pressure and body temperature over a 30-day period. When the data were graphed, it was evident that these readings changed in a predictable way on a daily basis. The reason for this regularity is that many physiological processes are:
A. determined by subconscious expectations.
B. governed by circadian rhythms.
C. controlled by daily lunar cycles.
D. correlated with lunar rotation.
36. _____ is a small brain structure that uses input from the retina to synchronize its own rhythm with the daily cycle of light and dark.
B. Suprachiasmatic nucleus
C. Cerebral cortex
D. Pineal gland
37. Ross takes a flight from Log Angeles to New York to attend a business meeting the next day. He checks into a hotel and goes to bed at 11 p.m. However, he is unable to fall asleep even though he is accustomed to sleeping by 11 p.m. Ross is unable to sleep because:
A. his body time is out of phase with clock time.
B. he is in an altered state of consciousness.
C. he is in a state of incubation.
D. he is experiencing controlled processing.
38. Bradley participates in a sleep study at a university clinic. The researchers measure his body’s physiological changes while he is sleeping. Which hormone do they find in large doses just before Bradley wakes up?
B. Growth hormone
39. Helen works night shift at a local grocery store every other day. She has trouble sleeping, which is most likely due to:
A. excess of melatonin.
B. the fact that her circadian rhythms do not follow a 24-hour cycle.
C. the fact that she experiences fewer than normal periods of REM sleep per night.
D. a state called hypnagogic reverie.
40. Hannah, a call center employee working in day shift, has been asked to work a night shift on Tuesday. During her night shift, Hannah falls asleep at her desk around midnight. Which of the following can best explain her behavior?
A. Her circadian rhythm has become desynchronized.
B. She is experiencing an altered state of consciousness.
C. She is demonstrating incubation.
C. Her metacognition level has significantly increased.