31) An advantage of the geocentric outlook to staffing is ________.
A) encouraging workers to appreciate the special virtues of a particular country
B) giving people a flexible perspective for fitting operations to different countries
C) removing most behavioral barriers to fully adapting to the chosen local market
D) tapping learning opportunities around the world to generate ideas that enhance core competencies
32) Microsoft has a tendency to hire home country nationals for jobs outside the U.S. Microsoft's founder, Bill Gates, most likely supports a(n) ________ approach to staffing.
33) A(n) ________ strategy is well matched with an ethnocentric staffing policy.
34) A(n) ________ strategy is well matched with a polycentric staffing policy.
35) A(n) ________ strategy is well matched with a geocentric staffing policy.
36) Firms with global strategies as opposed to multidomestic strategies are more likely to use ________.
A) expatriate managers
B) host country nationals in top management positions abroad
C) local managers
D) home country nationals in corporate positions
37) Historically, the most important criterion in selecting individuals for transfer has been ________.
A) foreign language abilities
B) technical competence
C) leadership skills
38) According to the text which of the following is the most important competency for an expatriate?
B) business acumen
C) cultural intelligence
D) geographic knowledge
39) Which of the following accurately describes a difference between jobs in the home office and jobs in a foreign subsidiary?
A) Cultural empathy is essential for employees in the home office, but is not necessary for employees in a foreign subsidiary.
B) Employees in the home office do not need to be familiar with a second language, but employees in a foreign subsidiary must be proficient in the language of the subsidiary's host country.
C) Expatriate executives in foreign subsidiaries are less expensive for a company to employ than executives in the home office.
D) Employees in foreign subsidiaries typically have broader job responsibilities than employees in the home office.
40) According to the text, which of the following is NOT an adaptive characteristic used to evaluate potential success of an expatriate candidate?
A) self maintenance
B) technology skills
C) cultural empathy
D) sensitivity to host environments