26. The term used to describe how adults and children : 2096029
26. The term used to describe how adults and children change the way they speak to infants and young children is
a. infantile speech.
b. foundational speech.
c. child-directed speech.
d. pragmatic speech.
27. The assumptions and principles that children use to facilitate their vocabulary learning are called
c. linguistic guidelines.
d. transitional probabilities.
28. When his mother points out a window at a cat and says “Look, Sam! There goes a feline!” Sam assumes ‘feline” to mean the
a. whole cat.
b. cat's whiskers.
c. cat's tail.
d. cat's motion.
29. When children can learn a new word, sometimes with only one exposure, it is called
a. syntactic bootstrapping.
b. the whole object bias.
c. fast mapping.
d. statistical learning.
30. Syntactic bootstrapping allows children to
a. determine the meaning of words through the use of syntax.
b. learn new words by eliminating items that already have labels.
c. learn the meaning of words through gesture.
d. guess whether a label refers to a whole object or to a part of that object.