26. During the debates over the ratification of the Constitution, : 2055773
26. During the debates over the ratification of the Constitution, most people assumed that this person would be the first president:
A. James Madison
B. George Washington
C. Thomas Jefferson
D. Alexander Hamilton
E. Benjamin Franklin
27. ________ presided over the Philadelphia convention of 1787.
A. Benjamin Franklin
B. Gouverneur Morris
C. Edmund Randolph
D. James Madison
E. George Washington
28. The Federalists gained enough votes to get the Constitution ratified when they promised this:
A. a bill of rights to be quickly added to the Constitution
B. a banning of the slave trade after 1808
C. the right of states to disobey any national law they didn't like
D. James Madison to be the first president
E. a Supreme Court with the right of judicial review
29. In which of the following states was the vote for the ratification of the Constitution very close?
D. New York
E. New Jersey
30. Through the grants of power in the Constitution, the framers sought to
A. define the powers of state governments.
B. create a government in which sovereignty was invested in the national government only.
C. both empower government and limit it.
D. enumerate the rights of individuals.
E. abolish slavery.