26. A shared resource, such as land, air, or water, : 1800975
26. A shared resource, such as land, air, or water, that a group of people uses collectively is a(n):
A. Economic village.
B. Collective resource.
C. Global unification.
27. A new imperative for governments, businesses and society is to:
A. Preserve the global commons and assure its continued use.
B. Assure fair access to the global commons for all individuals.
C. Equalize the usage of the global commons among all nations of the world.
D. Avoid the use of the global commons in order to preserve it for future use.
28. A thin layer of gas that protects the earth from excessive ultraviolet radiation from the sun is:
B. Carbon dioxide.
29. Depletion of the ozone layer, destruction of the rain forests, and species extinctions all have an impact on:
A. All of society.
B. A particular region.
C. A particular nation.
D. Only developing countries.
30. Scientists believe that if the Montreal Protocol is honored the ozone layer will recover by:
31. Which of the following statements is (are) true about global warming?
A. The earth has already warmed by between 0.6 and 0.9 degrees Celsius over the past century.
B. Burning fossil fuels is the leading contributor of global warming.
C. The amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has increased by as much as 25 percent since the Industrial Revolution.
D. All of the above.
32. By promoting the use of clean cookstoves in developing nations, a global alliance hopes to reduce:
B. The burning of fossil fuels.
C. Black carbon.
33. Which of the following countries has not ratified the Kyoto Protocol?
C. United States.
D. United Kingdom.
34. The Carbon Disclosure Project found that:
A. Companies that invested in climate change lost total revenue.
B. Companies in the railroad industry could not help the environment.
C. Companies could help the environment and their investors simultaneously.
D. Companies that were “carbon performance leaders” returned less total return to their investors than their peers.
35. Which of the following is not true about rain forests?
A. They are the planet’s richest areas in terms of biological diversity.
B. They will be severely depleted within the next 8 years.
C. They account for about 7 percent of the earth’s surface.
D. They account for somewhere between 40 to 75 percent of the earth’s species.