Question : 25) Indirect protections are more concerned with the criminal law itself : 2151711
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false.
25) Indirect protections are more concerned with the criminal law itself than they are with the treatment of individuals.
26) The courts presume that all laws are constitutional.
27) The federal government's law-making authority is limited.
28) The government is not required to treat everyone exactly the same.
29) First degree murder is fundamentally equivalent to negligent homicide.
30) It is legal to punish someone for an action that wasn't illegal when it was committed.
31) Similar to ex post facto prohibition, there are specific constitutional provisions that ban overly vague laws.
32) The equal protection requirement, the ban on ex post facto laws, and the ban on overly vague statutes apply to some criminal laws some of the times.
33) The Supreme Court has sanctioned bans on freedom of speech.
34) Both the federal government and the states are bound by this constitutional limitation of cruel and unusual punishment.
35) In Furman v. Georgia, the Supreme Court held that the death penalty itself constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.
36) It is unconstitutional to execute a mentally retarded murderer.
37) The Supreme Court has declared that the Fifth Amendment's protection against double jeopardy is not a fundamental right.
38) An individual who is acquitted in criminal court cannot be charged in civil court for the same action.
39) If a defendant successfully appeals a criminal conviction or otherwise succeeds in overturning a conviction, he or she may not be re-prosecuted in a new trial.
SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
40) Procedural protections that hail from the U.S. Constitution are known as ________ protections.
41) Whenever federal and state laws are at odds, the ________ law supersedes.
42) The rational basis test is used under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment for ________.
43) The ex post facto law is a law enacted to ________ punish behavior.
44) A constitutional doctrine based on the Fifth and ________ Amendments requiring that the laws be written with sufficient clarity and specificity.
45) ________ speech is that which advocates rebellion against the government.
46) Guided discretion laws are laws that provide for the death penalty based on weighing aggravating and ________ circumstances.
47) If a defendant is under the age of ________ when they commit a capital crime, they cannot be executed.
48) Double jeopardy prevents a second ________ for the same offense.
49) Double jeopardy does not apply when the court hearing the first offense lacks ________ to try the second offense.