21) A people-related step in building an effective team setting : 1414487
21) A people-related step in building an effective team is setting stable goals and priorities for the team.
22) The most fundamental ingredient of effective teams is member satisfaction.
23) Which of the following is one of the characteristics of a group as used in management-related discussions?
A) A group is simply a gathering of people.
B) Groups always work toward the accomplishment of an organizational goal.
C) A group must consist of 5 or more people.
D) Groups are characterized by occasional communication among members over time.
E) A group consists of members who are psychologically aware of one another.
24) Which of the following is least accurate regarding groups?
A) They are found in all organizations.
B) An understanding of groups can help managers raise the probability that the groups will cause desirable consequences for the organization.
C) Groups inevitably form in all facets of organizational existence.
D) Groups invariably cause desirable consequences within the organization.
E) Groups are characterized by a size small enough to permit each member to communicate with all other members on a face-to-face basis.
25) Which of the following statements about a group is true?
A) They are characterized by occasional communication among members over time and a size small enough to permit face-to-face communication.
B) The most common technique for accomplishing work through people is dividing them into work groups.
C) Groups invariably cause desirable consequences within the organization.
D) Groups are a simple gathering of people consisting of 5 or more people.
E) Groups exist only in some organizational structures.
26) A formal group is a group that ________.
A) is formed by management to perform organizational tasks
B) is normally defined but unstructured
C) is formed by the common interests of group members
D) is formed by the affiliation of the group members
E) is normally unstructured and undefined
27) Which of the following statements about formal groups is true?
A) The placements of organization members in such areas as marketing departments and
B) Formal groups are a collection of individuals whose common work experiences result in the development of a system of interpersonal relations that extend beyond those established by management.
C) The coordination of and communication among the formal groups is the responsibility of employees commonly called "cotter pins."
D) Formal groups are divided into two general types: interest groups and command groups.
E) The formal relationships among group members are summarized using a sociogram.
28) Formal groups are commonly divided into ________ and ________.
A) transitory groups; recurrent groups
B) in-groups; out-groups
C) command groups; task groups
D) interest groups; friendship groups
E) primary groups; secondary groups
29) Which of the following is an example of a command group?
A) a group of employees focused on providing excellent customer service
B) a group meeting to consider the feasibility of a new product
C) a department head with managers reporting to him
D) students coming together to form a study group for a specific class
E) a group of employees forming an exercise group
30) Formal groups that handle routine activities and are outlined on an organization chart are called ________.
A) task groups
C) transitory groups
D) work teams
E) command groups