16. The Supreme Court has barred the award of punitive : 2132697
16. The Supreme Court has barred the award of punitive damages in libel suits.
17. To win special damages, a plaintiff must show specific monetary or economic loss.
18. If a plaintiff has consented to the publication of a defamatory statement, he or she cannot later sue for damages because of that publication.
19. Most courts have ruled that the typical reader or listener or viewer can't distinguish between factual assertions and opinion statements.
20. News stories based on inaccurate government reports will normally be protected by the defense of qualified privilege.