15) A work cell scheduled to build 120 digital light : 2034579
15) A work cell is scheduled to build 120 digital light processor (DLP) assemblies each week. These assemblies are later installed into home theater projection systems. The work cell has 7.5 hours of productive work each day, six days per week. What is takt time for this cell?
16) A work cell is required to make 80 computerized diagnostic assemblies (for installation into hybrid automobiles) each day. The cell currently works an eight hour shift, of which seven hours are available for productive work. These assemblies require five operations, with times of 1.0, 1.8, 2.4, 2.5, and 1.4 minutes each. (a) What is takt time for this cell? (b) How many workers will be needed?
17) A work cell is required to make 140 computerized diagnostic assemblies (for installation into hybrid automobiles) each day. The cell currently works an eight hour shift, of which seven hours is available for productive work. These assemblies require five operations. Standard times for these operations are: Operation A, 3.0 minutes, B, 1.8 minutes, C, 2.4 minutes, D, 2.5 minutes, and E, 1.4 minutes.
(a) What is takt time for this cell?
(b) How many workers will be needed to achieve this schedule?
18) Brandon's computer shop has hired a consultant to help apply operations management techniques to increase profits. Currently the shop sells most of its computers to a high-end customized online retailer and sales are steady at 250 per month. A single work cell produces the computers. To produce the computer, three operations are required. First the parts must be assembled, next software must be installed, and finally the computer must be safely packed and labeled for shipping. These operations take 2 hours, 5 hours, and 1 hour respectively. If there are 6 available work hours each day and the shop operates 20 days per month find:
(a) the takt time, and
(b) the number of workers Brandon should hire.
19) A manufacturing work cell has a takt time of 7 minutes. Exactly 10 workers are required. Suppose that the work cell delivers 68 units each day.
(a) What is the total operation time?
(b) What is the amount of time worked during the day for all 10 workers combined?
(c) If the plant is open for only 8 hours per day, can the staff meet demand?