11. What left indigenous Americans most vulnerable to Europeans upon : 1987718
11. What left indigenous Americans most vulnerable to Europeans upon first contact?
A) their isolation and lack of exposure to many diseases
B) their belief in magic
C) their lack of such animals as horses and camels
D) their limited scientific knowledge
E) their predominantly hierarchical societies
12. What defined the nation-states that emerged in Europe by the sixteenth century?
A) expanding borders
B) efficient taxation
C) increased trade
D) authority over religion
E) centralized power
13. In capitalism, the prices of goods and services are set by
A) the government.
C) the market.
14. This illustration shows the workshop of
A) a weaver.
B) an engraver.
C) a metallurgist.
D) a painter.
E) a woodworker.
15. The Renaissance originated in
A) the Reformation of Martin Luther.
B) a renewed interest in classical learning.
C) the exploration of the New World.
D) the libraries of medieval monasteries.
E) a reworking of the theology of the Roman Catholic Church.
16. The Renaissance scholars known as humanists primarily studied
A) finance and trade.
C) liberal arts.
D) urban life.
17. The theology of John Calvin included all of the following ideas EXCEPT that
A) all images were forms of idolatry.
B) God had destined people for salvation before birth.
C) the true church was embodied by an “elect.”
D) the Bible and true faith were sufficient for worship.
E) the damned could find salvation through good works.
18. What did Europeans most want to obtain from Asia through trade?
A) spices and textiles
B) knowledge of new accounting methods
C) a way to cure the Black Death
D) new styles of fashion
E) an understanding of Islam
19. Martin Luther and John Calvin were similar in that they both
A) sold indulgences to their followers.
B) believed in predestination.
C) allied with the Church of England.
D) broke away from the Catholic Church.
E) smashed stained glass windows and religious carvings.
20. Why did Henry VIII of England break with the Catholic Church?
A) He wanted to levy taxes on Church property, but the Pope refused.
B) He wanted to write his own version of the Bible.
C) He wanted to sell Church lands to raise money for the army.
D) He wanted a divorce, which the Pope would not grant.
E) He wanted to fulfill the wishes of his father, Henry VII.