11) The distance between a seismological recording station and the : 2086506
11) The distance between a seismological recording station and the earthquake source is determined from the ________.
A) arrival times of P and S waves B) length of the seismic record
C) intensity of the earthquake D) earthquake magnitude
12) Which one of the following statements is correct?
A) S waves travel through solids and P waves travel through liquids.
B) P and S waves travel through liquids, but S waves do not travel through solids.
C) P waves travel through solids; S waves do not.
D) P and S waves travel through liquids, but P waves do not travel through solids.
13) When an earthquake occurs, energy radiates in all directions from its source. The source is also referred to as the ________.
A) focus B) epicenter C) seismic zone D) inertial point
14) The position on Earth's surface directly above the earthquake source is called the ________.
A) inertial point B) focus C) epicenter D) seismic zone
15) ________ refers to the tendency for a foundation material to lose its internal cohesion and fail mechanically during earthquake shaking.
A) Seismoflowage B) Slurrying C) Motion slip D) Liquefaction